Slip and Fall: A Hidden Danger
Slip and fall accidents do not only happen during the winter. Dangerous conditions on properties can cause slip and fall accidents at any time of year. Learn about the common causes of slip and fall accidents and how to hold a negligent property owner accountable.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
While property owners are required to keep their premises in a safe condition for tenants, guests, and visitors, this does not always happen. The following are common building safety hazards that can cause slip and fall accidents:
- Loose floor tiling
- Unsecured mats and rugs
- Excessive amounts of water on the floor
- Improper lighting in stairwells
- Missing railings on walkways or stairways
- Defective escalator
- Elevator uneven with floor
- Objects in aisles or other areas that get foot traffic
What to do after a Slip and Fall Accident
Taking the proper steps after a slip and fall accident can increase your chances of getting the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, we recommend taking the following steps:
- Seek medical attention.
- Try to determine what factor caused the accident and take photographs or notes on conditions in the area.
- Collect the names and addresses of any witnesses.
- Report the incident to the property owner and ensure they make a record of the accident.
Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident? Contact Us Today
Although no amount of money can erase the pain you have suffered, recovering the proper compensation can help pay for medical expenses and make up for lost wages. Our team at Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick have helped numerous clients across New York hold negligent property owners responsible, and we’re prepared to fight for you too.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick, L.L.P. at (646) 681-7055 for a consultation today.