Avoiding Cyclist Injuries During Summer
As the days get longer and summer starts to warm the NYC streets, you may feel the urge to pull your bicycle out of storage and experience the joys of summer cycling. Unfortunately, this season is also an incredibly common time for bicycle accidents – and these collisions are fatal for riders far more often than the drivers who tend to hit them. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 783 bicyclists were killed in 2017 alone.
Both bicyclists and drivers have an equal responsibility to share the road and prevent dangerous situations. However, when you’re injured as a cyclist, you may have a greater need for compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, long-term care, and other needs. If you do get hurt, our bicycle accident lawyers at Silbowitz, Garafola, Silbowitz, Schatz & Frederick, L.L.P. are ready to help seek justice on your behalf.
Here are a few ways to protect yourself from a summer bike accident:
- Be incredibly cautious at controlled intersections, as cars may not be able to see you clearly.
- Never ride against the direction of traffic.
- Always wear a helmet to prevent the most lasting traumatic brain injuries.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk, as this can make you invisible. This is especially true if a driver is trying to turn right on red.
- Be careful to signal whenever you merge lanes. Many bicycle accidents are caused when a car rear-ends a merging bicyclist!
- Never ride too close to parked cars, especially if there’s a chance of the door opening right as you pass by.
- Wear protective safety gear on other parts of your body, too – elbow and knee pads, along with padded clothing, can protect you from lacerations and bone damage.
- Embrace bright and reflective clothing. You may feel strange wearing neon green, but it could save your life.
- Stay sensitive to the sun’s glare. If the sun is setting, you will be harder for cars to spot through the light.
On behalf of our entire firm, we hope you stay safe out there on the roads, and enjoy a summer of injury-free cycling and fun. However, if you do need an attorney, don’t hesitate to contact our skilled team for the assistance you deserve. We can help you pursue a claim against the driver, or negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement.
Need to discuss a bike accident case in NYC? Call our attorneys at (646) 681-7055 to get a free consultation.